Sunday, March 20, 2011

Movie: Dirty Harry (1971)


I had never seen this movie before, as cop-chases-psycho-killer movies have never appealed.

I was familiar with the franchise and the iconic "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?" bur I had never realized that Eastwood's character was called "Dirty Harry" because he did all the dirty jobs no one else wanted to do, as opposed to being a "dirty cop" - one who took bribes. I guess I should have known that a Clint Eastwood character would never take a bribe!

Andrew Robinson is the villain, Scorpio. I think some of his more brutal scenes - for example he apparently verbally abuses some kids on the hi-jacked school bus, but in the version shown on ION television tonight the kids are singing Old McDonald Had A Farm quite happily one minute, and the next minue are sitting in the bus in tears, with no intervening scene to explain why.

And of course most of the swearing was bleeped out.

I read at Wikipedia that Andy Robinson was so convincing as the psycho killer that he actually received death threats in real life! Can you imagine that? A movie made in 1971 and people can't distinguish the movie characters from the actors who portray them?

This was the film that launched Clint Eastwood on his Hollywood movie career, and the Dirty Harry franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment