Saturday, February 13, 2010

Scooby Doo, What Happened To You?


or...why do movie makers have to destroy their source material?

The first Scooby Doo movie was filmed in 2002. At first I wanted to go see it. I had loved Scooby Doo as a kid, and I liked Rowan Atkinson. Then I learned a bit about the plot... the Mystery Machine gang split up, and two years later reunite to solve a mystery.

Blech. Why why why? It's a trope that movie makers do all the time for movies aimed at teens...have a group that works perfectly fine break up, so there's some quick and easy stuff to move the plot forward instead of coming up with a good mystery plot to begin with . It's like that Thunderbirds abomination, where the one kid doesn't feel loved by his parents...then things arrange themselves so that he's the only one who can save the day. Blech, blech and again blech.

I'm so tired of "rebellious teens" being made the focus of movies. Like Indiana Jones' son (that of course he never knew about...shades of The Genesis Project and Captain Kirk's son - you trying to tell me Captain James T. Kirk, the lothario-prime of the universe, ever had sex with any woman - human or alien, with out wearing a condom? No way, no how.)

Anyway, what really revolts me about this first SCooby Doo movie...which I'm watching on TV - with the sound down, I hasten to add - while I wait for the Olympics to start, is a scene where Shaggy and Scooby are having a belching contest. I can't remember that there were ever any belches in the original Scooby Doo cartoons, but a few years ago - probably in 2002 and now all the rage, there are belches in kids movies. Oh, so funny!

But this scene progressed from belches to farts. Now I suppose boys do think that seeing who can fart the loudest is funny...but that's only because they haven't been taught that its kind of stupid and extremely gross. Let boys do it amongst themselves if they must, if that's what makes them boys, but to subject an entire audience to that crap...or even just a little girl and her parents watching the movie in the privacy of their own home - dis-gusting. Classless.

And we wonder why society today is at the nadir its at.

Having said that... Rowan Atkinson sure does look cute...though not Blackadder II cute. But he isn't given enough to do.

Edited... and it gets work.

It's at the ending now..and Scrappy Doo has turned out to be the villain. Jesus Christ!

But what really revolted me was early than this, when the spirits of Freddy and Daphne somehow get switched, so they are each in each other's bodies. And Daphne as Freddie's reaction - pure lasciviousness. "Oh, great, now I can look at myself naked."

Jeus, what a revolting disaster. You take a kid's show, and you turn it into a lascivious piece of garbage. And this thing was popular enough to spawn a sequel? Very, very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment